- May I have a look at your current Job description?
- Do you use this document?
- Does it reflect the exact role you do?
- Does your manager know it inside out?
- Do training programs, performance objectives & appraisal, interviews, talent development use it as the main source of information?
- Does it contain easy measurements of your key accountabilities?
- Does it indicate your current position in the hierarchy?
Surprisingly, I get a negative answer to most of these questions and similar when I participate in Human Resources Audit Programs. International standards main HR requirement is that every employee should have an updated job description reflecting the current role. Unless managers along with HR staff get together to revive it, job descriptions will be an additional burden on everyone.